I feel I am at a crossroads with certain friends...
I believe this happens to the best of us.
I am at the age, 23 to be exact, where I (along with many of my friends) are embarking on new journeys and new stages of life.
In my case, I recently started a new "grown up" job and am contemplating where I want to head in the next several years- whether that be back to school or a different job once I become stable- or wherever the wind blows! :)
For some of my friends its pursuing higher education in another state, buying their first home with their boyfriend/girlfriend, taking time off from school to work and earn money- whatever the case may be; we are all at a crossroads of some sort.
I just feel a little lost with my friendships lately.....
Those who are in serious relationships, especially living with their significant other- those friendships are never the same. Their relationship (understandably) becomes first priority and friendships or making time from friendships isn't always of the highest concern. People I used to see often, I don't really now... or if I do, it has to be in a group or double date sort of situation.
For someone like me...
Someone who is recently 100% single, it can be difficult to adjust to. I'm yearning for the single girlfriends or friends who are eager to explore, go out, have fun, let lose, wander together- whether that be a museum on a Sunday or a dive bar on a Thursday.
Then I have certain friends who are "single" and free- but are on the other spectrum!
Meaning not only do they want to go out 6 nights a week but in addition, going out to them is clubbing constantly, getting hammered, spending a lot of unnecessary money and I can't quite relate to that either anymore. I've said this before, but I've outgrown the club stage. Get dressed up once and a while to go dancing with girlfriends or friends? Sure! I love those nights, and sometimes they are desperately needed!
But going out 6 nights a week for the same mundane thing that lacks substance? I think I'll pass. Then those friends who are always on the go in those ways (friends I used to be very close to) hold almost a resentment and attitude that I don't want to live that life. It's not a good thing I'm afraid to tell a friend "no" once and a while- I want to be me, that's it.
I just feel like I am standing in a deserted field, at a pitchfork in the road-
trying to see in the distance, trusting I will reach a destination that will make me happy, but being uncertain, nervous and even hopeless along the way at points.
I hope this phase ends and I find solitude in certain friendships and that others grow out of certain stages to realize life is SO much more....
I can only hope?
No comments:
Post a Comment