Saturday, February 6, 2010

'On Being Positive'

I am currently reading Ivanka Trump's book about being a successful, smart & classy buisnessWOMAN in this era. I find the book very fascinating so far- because although she was handed every advantage and opportunity simply by her having the last name she has- she was a hard worker with a strong work ethic and sense of ambition.
Throughout her book she has excerpts she calls :bulletins from my blackberry. They are either emails, letters or insights famous people she knows from Russel Simmons to the creator of Myspace.

There is one I want to share because it happens to be a reoccurring theme in my life at the moment.
I believe so firmly in the law off attraction and being optimistic. So much so, It can drive pessimists and complainers up the wall :)
& It isn't me being pretentious or putting on this fake façade. It's simply believing the positive energy you put out there, will literally change your fate and journey. Of course we all have our moments where something happens that makes us sad or doubt, but its about rising above those emotions that matters.
So here is the excerpt, it's a little long but I promise worth the read.

"The single most important thing you can do in business is stay away from negative people. They're like building a quicksand pit for yourself. That's one of the common traits I see in successful people. Everything's always great and getting better- even when it isn't. That kind of positive approach is important, because if you listen to negative people you'll get a migraine. You'll never get anywhere. Some people turn whining into a career, but those people can be so depressing. They'll bring you down, and you'll never be at your best when you're down.
There's no room in any venture for a defeatist attitude. A lot of young people walk around thinking all the great ideas have been taken or that all the great projects have been started. But that's nonsense. There are opportunities all over the place. I think it was Daryl Zanuck who predicted the sure failure of television. He said nobody would be willing to sit in a living room and watch a plywood box; they'd rather go to the movies. Before that, there was somebody in 1925, right ahead of talkies, who said that nobody would pay to hear actors talk on film. At the turn of the century, the head of the U.S. Patent Office was quoted in the newspaper as stating that everything that could be invented had already been invented. All through history, people have acted as if there were nothing new, only those were the people who'd hit the end of their road. But they didn't necessarily hit the end of your road.
The barriers to entry in any field are the ones you put up for yourself. There's always plenty of room at the top. The middle can get pretty crowded. The bottom can get pretty crowded. But at the top, there's always room. I have about 1,500 employees at FOX news, and every day I'm searching for a new producer. For someone great. Any one of my producers can step up at any time, and occasionally one of them does. And when that happens, I find a place for them in a heartbeat.
The other important thing I tell people is to be nice. It sounds so simple, but you'd be surprised how rare that is these days. People respond to you if they get the feeling you respond to them. If you're polite and businesslike. If you don't throw your position around. If you take the time to talk to people and actually listen. In every office, in every field, your colleagues can derail you if they don't like you. But if they like you, if they're pulling for you, things tend to work out just fine."
-Roger Ailes; President, FOX News Channel

No comments: